As a prominent East End Historical landmark, The Duke has been part of the Leslieville landscape since 1870 and was orginally named The Morin House Tavern. This 19th century solid brick building was originally a restaurant and pub with an Inn on the second floor with rooms to rent when the area was named St. David’s Ward. According to historical records, Richard Stone maintained the location until he sold it to Blake Crawford in 1912. The building was then renamed The Duke (named after Prince Edward – Duke of York & Albany) and has carried the name through until today.
Current owner has had the bar for 33 years and counting.
On June 13th 1983, City Council of Toronto listed the site as “Architectural Historical” and from that day, the building is safe from being torn down.
Located at Queen and Leslie, just seconds from the 24 hour streetcar (bus stop right at doors) The Duke is also easily accessible by the Gardiner Expressway and free parking.
Come on out and see what all the commotion is about.
The Duke has one of the best patios in the city with tables spread out in the sun and the shade. Good for everyone. Family friendly too. Sports are shown around the bar every night. Special sporting events are show on the theatre size screen inside and various outlets on the patio.
Parking lot is located off Leslie street behind the bar. Wheelchair accessible through the back down and off the patio.
Food is the talk of the town. Regular menu of “pub” foods and specials everyday. No one leaves hungry or unsatisfied.
Drink specials such as Duke Lager and Fireball or Jameson are always available.
The Duke has been featured in various films and TV such as ; Saw movies, Rookie Blue and Private Eyes.